Friday, November 11, 2005

It's Evolution Baby

Okay, I've been kind of silly in a lot of my posting up till this point. But I've just gotta lay it on the line, because this really, really pisses me off. I mean, it! This really pisses me off! I can't fucking stand it!

Okay, calm down. Some people are ignorant, that much is true. So let's educate them. Let me pose this question. What is better than not having eyes? The answer? Just about anything. It can be a handful of light sensitive cells. It could be literally anything. So when people ask, "How could something as complex as the eye evolve?" The best answer, the true answer, is very, very slowly. The eye didn't spring up overnight. It wasn't "created" in one sweep of a divine hand! That would be stupid.

These creationists also bitch up and down that the fossil record does not fit in with the theory of evolution. This is a stupid comment to make and is totally missing the point. The "theory of evolution," or as I like to call it, "natural selection," is a template that is placed over the fossil record. It is not a highly detailed calendar about what evolved when. It is a framework that can help us explain the fossil record (which is, by the way, almost prohibitively incomplete) as we see it. Natural selection is the ONLY thing that makes sense, given the data. And if you think for one second, that it doesn't occur, then consider that we induce it artificially in all sorts of animals, deciding who gets to breed with who: dogs, horses, sheep, cats, cows, etc, etc, etc. It's what we do. Natural selection differs from artificial selection in one primary respect: what determines selective pressures. In natural selection, it is nature.

I guess I could sit here all day and rant about this...but that would just make me angry. Read The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins, and get the hell out of my face, you Bible thumping, sex-fearing, science-hating, God-pushing, asshats.

1 comment:

Dr Kuha said...

Why are you so angry?
Do you need therapy?